All new students are required to attend their respective orientation program, as well as complete their Immigration Check-in at OISS within 15 days of arrival in the U.S. Make your travel plans accordingly.
Please note that failure to attend both the international orientation and an immigration check-in with OISS will result in a hold being placed on your student record and may affect your immigration status.
Orientation and Check-in Process for Fall 2021
All new international students starting their program or arriving in the U.S. for the first time in the Fall 2021 must complete the mandatory immigration check-in and attend their respective orientation program. Upon completing all 4 required steps, you will be in compliance and ready to begin your program at Rice University.
STEP 1: Document Check-in
Currently only the E-check-in Option is available.
1. E-check-in Option
Upload the required copies of your immigration documents to your OISS Portal account. MUST be completed prior to moving on to step 2, Advisor Check-In.
2. In-Person Option
Bring originals and copies (OISS can assist you to make copies if needed) of your required immigration documents to OISS and complete the Check-in Form in person.
Required documents for either option include:
- Completed E-Check-in form (complete and upload emailed copy to OISS Portal) OR completed hard copy Check-in Form (available at OISS)
- Signed copy of I-20, pages 1 & 2 (*F-1s only) or DS-2019, page 1 (*J-1s only)
- Passport documentation (can be submitted as one or separate files/documents):
- visa stamp (if applicable)
- port of entry stamp (see example on the right)
- passport ID page (if different than what already submitted)
- I-94 (download here: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/)
- Dependent documents (F-2s/J-2s only) – F-2 signed I-20 / J-2 signed DS-2019, visa stamp, I-94 for each dependent
- Other status document (for example USCIS Approval Notice, EAD) as applicable for your situation
STEP 2: Advisor Session
Meet with an OISS advisor to complete your check-in process. The advisor will discuss the details of your immigration responsibilities, as well as walk you through the additional items to get you ready to begin your program. Please allow 1 hour – 1.5 hours to complete the check-in. Currently all advisor sessions will take place via Zoom.
We offer check-in advisor appointments daily (Monday - Friday) at 2:00 p.m. Call 713-348-6095 or email email@example.com to schedule your appointment only after completing STEP 1.
STEP 3: ESTHER Address Update
All students are required to update their address in the Mailing Address field in their ESTHER account with their local address where they reside. Please follow the formatting guidelines, so that your address is properly accepted by SEVIS.
STEP 4: International Student Orientation
During the mandatory international student orientation, students will review immigration regulations and programs geared specifically to support the international population.
Information about the special MBA Check-in & International Orientation will be posted soon. Please complete your Document Check-in requirement (Step 1) as the E-check-in option in advance prior to the Check-in and Orientation.
Information on Fall Undergraduate International Orientation (UIO) will be posted soon at https://oiss.rice.edu/uio.
For information on Graduate International Orientation (GIO), please see https://oiss.rice.edu/gio.