B-1/B-2 Visa and Visa Waiver Program

The B-1/B-2 Visitor Visa or the Visa Waiver is commonly used by foreign visitors who are invited to Rice for a very short period of time for the purpose of giving a lecture, consulting, attending a conference or seminar, and for who may require an honorarium or reimbursement. For more information, please see the page for One-Time Visitors.

B-1/B-2 Visas

The B visa may NOT be used for working, conducting research, nor for collaborations at Rice University. For these types of activities, Rice will typically issue a J-1 Exchange Visitor visa. If you have any questions regarding the types of activities permitted by the B-1/B-2 visa, please consult with OISS.

Visa Waiver Program (VWP)

The Visa Waiver Program allows citizens of participating countries to travel to the U.S. for tourism or business without having to apply for a B-1/B-2 visa for a stay of 90 days or less. For more information on the VWP, including a list of eligible countries, please visit the U.S. Department of State VWP webpage.

Additional Resource

Rice's Immigration and Visa Policy (Policy No. 842)