If you would like to speak with an OISS advisor, it is always best to schedule an appointment. The fastest way to do this is to call the office (713-348-6095), but you may also email Andy Meretoja or OISS.
When scheduling by email, please include the following information:
- Your full legal name
- Dates you are available
- Times you are available
- Cell phone number where you can be reached in case we need to contact you before the appointment
- If applicable: Preferred OISS advisor (that you have spoken to or met with previously)
- Reason for appointment
Helpful tips – Is an appointment needed for the following?
1) I need a travel signature – NO APPOINTMENT NECESSARY
Just stop by with your most recent I-20 or DS-2019 and your passport. Remember that it takes a full day to process a travel signature, so you will get the I-20 or DS-2019 back the following business day.
2) But wait, my visa has expired. I’m only going to Mexico so I heard that I can still travel without renewing my visa – YES, APPOINTMENT RECOMMENDED
If you’re planning to use Automatic Revalidation (which enables you to travel to Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean Islands with an expired U.S. visa) we recommend meeting with an OISS advisor prior to your trip. Keep in mind that even with Automatic Revalidation, you still need a valid travel signature on your I-20 or DS-2019.
3) I want to Request a Supporting Letter – NO APPOINTMENT NECESSARY
The easiest way to request letters is through the Letter Requests link on our website. If you don't see the letter you're looking for as an option, or have a question about the letters we provide, our front desk is happy to help.
4) I want to get a Social Security Number – NO APPOINTMENT NECESSARY
Please see our Social Security Number page. If you have additional questions, our front desk will be happy to assist you.
5) I want to Apply for CPT – It depends
i. It’s my first CPT and I haven’t attended any of the workshops – YES, an appointment with an OISS advisor is definitely recommended.
ii. I’ve done CPT many times – NO APPOINTMENT NECESSARY, you can submit your CPT request online (https://oiss.rice.edu/CPT, netID login required) or drop off your CPT paperwork at the front desk without an appointment.
6) I want to Apply for OPT – Attend a workshop first
If you have additional questions, we’re happy to schedule a follow-up appointment, but otherwise you can submit your OPT request online (http://bit.ly/optrequest) or drop off the OPT paperwork at the front desk (please note that an appointment will be required once your OPT I-20 is ready). See our Student Employment website for more information and the workshop schedule.