If you would like to speak with an OISS advisor, it is always best to schedule an appointment. The fastest way to do this is to call the office (713-348-6095), but you may also email OISS.
When scheduling by email, please include the following information:
- Your full legal name
- Dates you are available
- Times you are available
- Cell phone number where you can be reached in case we need to contact you before the appointment
- If applicable: Preferred OISS advisor (that you have spoken to or met with previously)
- Reason for appointment
If you are scheduling an appointment to pick up a document, please see https://oiss.rice.edu/getdocs for detailed information.
Helpful tips – Is an appointment needed for the following?
1) I need a travel signature – NO APPOINTMENT NECESSARY
Please see the Travel page for your options on how to request a travel signature, no appointment needed.
2) But wait, my visa has expired. I’m only going to Mexico so I heard that I can still travel without renewing my visa – YES, APPOINTMENT RECOMMENDED
If you’re planning to use Automatic Revalidation (which enables you to travel to Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean Islands with an expired U.S. visa) we recommend meeting with an OISS advisor prior to your trip. Keep in mind that even with Automatic Revalidation, you still need a valid travel signature on your I-20 or DS-2019.
3) I want to Request a Supporting Letter – NO APPOINTMENT NECESSARY
The easiest way to request letters is through the Letter Requests link on our website. If you don't see the letter you're looking for as an option, or have a question about the letters we provide, our front desk is happy to help.
4) I want to get a Social Security Number – NO APPOINTMENT NECESSARY
Please see our Social Security Number page. If you have additional questions, our front desk will be happy to assist you.
5) I want to Apply for CPT – It depends
i. It’s my first CPT – Review the information at https://oiss.rice.edu/cpt and complete the CPT Tutorial Canvas Course. If you have additional questions, we’re happy to schedule a follow-up appointment, but otherwise you can submit your CPT request online (https://oiss.rice.edu/applyCPT, netID login required).
ii. I’ve done CPT many times – NO APPOINTMENT NECESSARY, you can submit your CPT request online (https://oiss.rice.edu/applyCPT, netID login required).
6) I want to Apply for OPT – Review the information at https://oiss.rice.edu/opt and complete the OPT Tutorial Canvas Course. If you have additional questions, we’re happy to schedule a follow-up appointment, but otherwise you can submit your OPT request online (http://bit.ly/optrequest). See our Student Employment website for more information and the workshop schedule.