The SEVP Student Portal is a tool that F-1 students on post-completion optional practical training (OPT) or science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM) OPT extension can use to report changes to their home address, telephone number and employer information. Students on STEM OPT will not be able to add a new employer or change the start date but can update their other information about an employer already in the system.
As a student on post-completion or STEM OPT, you will be eligible to use the portal. The portal is accessible from both your mobile device and computer.
We recommend reviewing the SEVP Student Portal User Guide, which provides step-by-step instructions for using the portal, before creating your account.
Important Resources (Study in the States)
- SEVP Portal Help
- SEVP Portal Overview
- Create an SEVP Portal Account
- Make and Maintain User Password
- SEVP Portal User Guide
- Navigate the SEVP Portal
- Update User Profile
- Update Employer Information
- OPT Student Reporting Requirements
- STEM OPT Student Reporting Requirements
- SEVP Portal Videos
- Login Page for SEVP Portal
Quick Tips on Reporting via the SEVP Student Portal
- You should not edit existing employer’s information when changing to a new employer.
- Do not delete employer’s information if trying to update information, only delete if you never worked for that employer.
- Report volunteer employment only if it’s directly related to your degree.
- Start of employment should not be backdated more than 10 days.
- Add email@example.com to approved email contacts to avoid emails from going into your Spam/Junk folder.
- Log in at least every 3 months even if you have nothing to report, to ensure that your SEVP Student Portal account stays active.
- See https://oiss.rice.edu/OPTcompliance for more detailed information on reporting requirements.
- Who can use the SEVP Student Portal?
The SEVP Student Portal can be used by:
- F-1 International students participating in post-completion Optional Practical Training (OPT).
- F-1 International students participating in a science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) OPT extension.
- What are the benefits of creating an SEVP Student Portal account?
- Students can meet their regulatory reporting requirements
- It will enhance data integrity
- Data entered into the Portal is sent immediately to SEVIS
- Students will be able to monitor their employment authorization
- Students will be able to edit their profile and employment information
- Students will be able to view history
- What information can students on regular OPT report via the SEVP Portal?
F-1 students completing practical training can update their:
- Physical home address
- Mailing address
- Telephone number
- Employer information
- What information can students on STEM OPT report via the SEVP Portal?
F-1 students completing STEM practical training can update their:
- Physical home address
- Mailing address
- Telephone number
- F-1 students participating in STEM OPT will not be able to add a new employer or change the start date in the SEVP Portal due to the Form I-983 requirement.
- Is there a fee I need to pay to create an SEVP Student account?
There is no cost associated with creating an account or accessing the Portal.
- When can I register with the SEVP Student Portal?
After your OPT application has been approved by USCIS, you will receive an automated email with a registration link on the EAD start date. You will not be able to report OPT information until the OPT start date on your EAD card.
- Can I use my Rice email address for the SEVP Student Portal?
We recommend that you use your personal email address for future communication and reporting purposes. After you graduate, OISS will report your non-Rice email address to SEVIS that you have provided on the OPT form when requesting for your OPT. In case you have already created your SEVP Student Portal account using your Rice email address, you will receive an email notification from the Portal about this change and instructions to log in with your non-Rice email address.
- Can I change my personal email address to another personal email address?
OISS can change your email address in SEVIS per your request, after which you will receive an email notification from the SEVP Student Portal about the change and instructions to log in with your new email address.
- What to do if I have not received the notification email from SEVP?
If you never received the email (please check your SPAM/JUNK folders), you may send a request for an initial SEVP Student Portal email by contacting SEVP@ice.dhs.gov. If you did receive the email but the link expired or you locked your account, you may use a "Password Reset" option on your SEVP Portal log in page, or contact firstname.lastname@example.org to reset your account.
- Who should I contact if I need help with my SEVP Student Portal account?
If you need help with your account, please call the SEVP Response Center at 703-603-3400 and refer to the resources at the top of this page.
- Can I ask OISS to update my information in the SEVP Student Portal for me?
DSOs can not access the SEVP Student Portal, but if you are approaching a reporting deadline and do not currently have access to your account, OISS can update the information on your behalf directly in SEVIS. This option should be used as an exception only, and you should make updates in the SEVP Student Portal yourself whenever possible.
DSOs can also help with:
- Requesting the Initial Portal Account Creation email be resent.
- Requesting the locked student's Portal Account be unlocked.
- Change the student's email address for the Portal.
- Who should I contact if I notice an error in my information?
Students will be able to edit: Address, telephone number, employer information (except on STEM due to I-983 requirement)
Students should contact OISS to edit: Name, date of birth, email address, employment authorization
- I have reported my information via my SEVP Student Portal account. Should I still send anything to OISS?
Students on regular OPT should:
Students on STEM OPT should:
• Submit a copy of your STEM EAD at http://bit.ly/oissdocs
• Submit a validation report to OISS through https://riceuniversity.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6WG7IMo8yEJ0JQp every 6 months, even if your information has not changed
• Submit an updated I-983 to OISS if there is any change in the information previously provided on the original I-983 at https://riceuniversity.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_8CYjpYc18xZw1wi
• Submit your self-evaluations signed by your employer at the 12 month mark and at the 24 month mark of your STEM extension
• If you change employers, submit all required documents, including final STEM evaluation and a new I-983 at https://riceuniversity.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_8CYjpYc18xZw1wi
• Inform OISS of any change in your immigration status, and submit supporting documents at http://bit.ly/oissdocs
For more information on reporting requirements during STEM OPT, please see the STEM OPT Info page and the Students on OPT & STEM OPT webpage.
- My SEVP Student Portal account is locked, who should I contact?
After three failed attempts or if the user does not log in to the Portal for 90 days, the Portal will lock a student out. If your account is locked, you may use a "Password Reset" option on your SEVP Portal log in page, or contact OISS and ask to submit a request in SEVIS to unlock your SEVP Student Portal account.
- What to do if I believe that someone learned my password or used my account?
Students must keep their Portal account secure and not share their password or account information with anyone. If you believe that someone learned your password or used your account, you must change your password immediately and report it to SEVP at 703-603-3400.
- Am I required to use the SEVP Student Portal?
Yes, this is the current way of reporting information on OPT/STEM OPT.
- How long will I have access to the SEVP Student Portal?
You will have access to your SEVP Student Portal for up to 6 months after your OPT ends. SEVP will send an email alert 5 months after your OPT authorization has ended notifying you that your Portal access will end in 30 days. You will receive another email alert on the day your Portal access ends notifying you that the access has ended. It is recommended to make copies/take screenshots of your SEVP Portal records for future reference.