The O-1 nonimmigrant visa is for the individual who possesses extraordinary ability. To qualify for an O-1 visa, the beneficiary must demonstrate extraordinary ability by sustained national or international acclaim. The O-1 may sometimes be an option when, for example, the H-1B Specialty Working Visa would not be appropriate. Due to the strict requirements involved with the O-1 visa application process, consultation with OISS is required as early as possible. Please schedule an appointment with Adria Baker by calling 713-348-6095.
- O-1 Quick Facts
What is an O‐1 visa?
- Temporary work visa for individuals who possess extraordinary ability
- The O-1 status does not have a maximum duration. Initial approval is typically issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration services (USCIS) for three years, after which extensions can be approved in one year increments
- Visa belongs to the employer (Rice) and is specific to the position, job duties, work location, and work schedule (full-time or part-time)
- No prevailing wage requirement, but commanding a high salary can be a qualification for the O-1 status
- O-1 Cost/Fees
- $460 - Filing Fee of I-129 to USCIS
- $3,500 - $4,000 - Legal Fees for initial O-1 (depends on complexity of case)
- $2,000 - Legal Fees for O-1 extension
- $295 - Admin Fees
- Additional fees may be required if USCIS requests further evidence, etc.
- Premium processing: $2,750 (includes filing fee + legal fee) if filed concurrently with O-1 petition (additional admin fee of $40 will be included, if premium processing added later)
- If applicable, O-3 dependent fees: visa for spouse (approximately $1,000) and/or child(ren) (approximately $600)
- $340 - Revocation Fees (includes filing fee + legal fee) if employment ends prior to O-1 validity end date
*Please note that all of the O-1 fees, with the possible exception of premium processing, should be paid by the employer.
Foster will invoice the Sponsoring Department directly for all expenses. Any delay in paying these invoices in a timely manner can delay the O-1 visa processing.
- Documents Required to Request for O-1 Visa
The O-1 request form is available in Adobe Sign under Workflows. It is titled "OISS - O-1 Initiation" and a copy of the job posting and an up-to-date CV must be attached to the form.
The sponsoring department must also initiate the “Export Controls Certification Compliance Form” via Adobe Sign. The form is available as a Workflow under the name "SPARC - Export Controls Certification Compliance. Any questions that arise in regards to filling out the form should be directed to the Office of Sponsored Projects and Research Compliance (email@example.com).