Rice University's Office of International Students & Scholars' (OISS) mission is to enhance the experience of the international population (which includes all non-immigrant visa students, researchers, and faculty) through serving as the chief liaison office for: immigration advising, cultural adaptation, international compliance, networking/public connections, and academic support, with university departments, government agencies, and community advocates.
- To provide international students and scholars with advice and documentation necessary to maintain their legal status in the U.S.;
- To represent the university to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, the U.S. Department of State, and other governmental agencies dealing with international visitors;
- To guide international students and scholars in their adaptation to the American culture and campus life;
- To maintain university compliance regarding regulations concerning international students and scholars in accordance with Rice's Immigration and Visa Policy.
Services we provide
- Serve as the key immigration liaison for Rice internationals, Rice departments hosting them, and with the U.S. government
- Initial orientation for all international students and scholars
- U.S. immigration advisement, documentation, tracking and reporting
- Travel authorization and guidance regarding new visa applications
- Authorize and advise international students, scholars and dependents on visa benefits, such as practical training and extension of programs
- Advocate on behalf of internationals internally, locally and nationally
- Liaison with U.S. and foreign embassies/consulates
- Assistance with matters of cultural adaptation
- Resource and referral to other offices and services within Rice University and in Houston
- Reporting of Rice's international population to government agencies, Open Doors and the Rice community
- Workshops, professional development trainings, and other critical informational and cultural events
- Alternative health insurance policy information
- Hospitality programming opportunities, including English language & culture classes, community friendship program, summer and winter events
- Provide international student and scholar networks for support and friendship
- OISS listservs
Please also refer to our list of OISS Key Contacts to see who handles what at OISS.