Employment Resources

Most international scholars at Rice are authorized to work here on-campus. The eligibility for off-campus opportunities depends on visa type and specific circumstances. In most cases, scholars with an EAD issued by USCIS are eligible to work for any U.S. employer (those on F-1 OPT must be engaging in practical training in their field of study and those on F-1 STEM OPT have additional requirements regarding eligible employment). J-1 or H-1B visa holders are typically only eligible to work for their sponsoring employer. Please consult an OISS advisor to learn about options available to you.

General Resources

J-2 Work Authorization – For the cover letter template, click here
Social Security Number (SSN) Application Process
Employer Responsibilities When Hiring Foreign Workers
Volunteering vs. Unpaid Work