J-1 Academic Training

OISS will not need to issue immigration documentation for a scholar in this visa status (unless their J-1 is sponsored by Rice, i.e., they are/were a Rice student). However, OISS must still receive a copy of the offer letter and appointment information from iO, and the scholar must attend an OISS check-in appointment before or on their first day of employment, to ensure immigration compliance requirements are met.

International Scholars on J-1 Academic Training hold work authorization issued by their J Program Sponsor that permits them to work in a specific field of study for a period of up to 18 or 36 months, depending on their specific circumstances. This type of work authorization is available for J-1 visa holders in the Student category either during or upon completion of their studies in the U.S. and is indicated on their Form DS-2019.

International scholars who reach the end of their eligibility for Academic Training will need alternate work authorization to continue to work after the Academic Training expires. To obtain work authorization, the scholar will need to change to a different visa classification – typically another category of the J-1 Exchange Visitor visa or the H-1B visa. Please consult an OISS advisor well in advance to discuss the visa options and procedures, as changing visa classifications can take between 4 to 8 months.