Rice Unconventional Wisdom

Admissions for International Students


Undergraduate students will find all the admissions requirements, financial support information, test score & GPA requirements, as well as other required documents by visiting: www.futureowls.rice.edu

Graduate students seeking admission to Rice will find all the admissions requirements, financial support information, test score & GPA requirements, as well as other required documents by visiting the webpage of the specific department you wish to join. For a list of graduate departments at Rice University and general admissions requirements, please visit: http://graduate.rice.edu/  Please note that graduate students must begin their program in line with the Rice academic calendar. Please scroll down to the bottom of the page for this academic year's session dates.

Short-Term International Visiting Research Students  are not pursuing a degree at Rice University, but are instead coming for a short visit to conduct research (typically during the summer).  Visiting Research Students work directly with their academic departments on their admission process to Rice.

Visiting Post Baccalaureates International Students must verify with our office to ensure that their visa category allows for studies.  Rice University does not issue immigration documents for studies as a Visiting Post Baccalaureates student.  The ability for the foreign national to continue with the application process will be determined by the OISS advisor’s evaluation of the visa category in conjunction with a course of study.  All Visiting Post Baccalaureates international applicants should fill out the following form with copies of their immigration documents for proper processing:  Visiting Post Baccalaureates Eligibility Form .  Please click here for information regarding the full application process.

Students Returning from Leave must submit the necessary documents to request a new I-20/DS-2019 to resume their studies. Students will be required to check-in as part of the standard process, but will not need to attend orientation again. Please click the link above for the detailed process. 

International Student Visa Classifications
Typically degree-seeking international students will come to study on an F-1 student visa and exchange students on a J-1 Exchange Visitor visa. To apply for an F-1 or J-1 visa, the student will need an I-20 or DS-2019 immigration documents, respectively. Occasionally international students may study on other visa classifications, depending on their situation, so please check with an OISS advisor if you plan to stay on your current visa classification.

Obtaining an I-20 or DS-2019 to apply for an F-1/J-1 visa
To issue an I-20 or DS-2019, the student must first have been admitted to a program at Rice and have accepted the offer of admission.  OISS will then receive documentation from the Admissions/Academic Departments regarding newly admitted international students. New international students need to provide the following:

    1. Copy of the passport identification page
    2. Completed International Intake/Financial Declaration Form along with supporting documentation (select appropriate form below depending on your situation) 
      - Undergraduate Degree-Seeking Student
      - Undergraduate Exchange Student - Full academic year 

      - Undergraduate Exchange Student - Fall semester only 

      - Undergraduate Exchange Student - Spring semester only 

      - Graduate Degree-Seeking Student
      - Graduate Music Student
      - Graduate Architecture Student
      - Masters Students in Energy Economics
      - Professional Masters Students in Natural Science
      - Professional Masters Students in Engineering
      - Professional Masters Students in Global Affairs
      - MBA Student
      - Masters in Accounting Program
      - Graduate Exchange Student - Full academic year 

      - Graduate Exchange Student - Fall semester only

            3. Foreign Student Transfer Release Form (if transferring from a US
                institution) The Release Form is required for all students coming to Rice
                University directly from another U.S. institution. Please ask the
                International Student Advisor at your current school to assist you in
                completing the form and to set a Transfer Release Date in SEVIS for 
                your record to be transferred to Rice. Please note OISS may only
                prepare an I-20 after the SEVIS Release Date has passed.

2018-2019 Session Start Dates (classes start as indicated below): 
International admissions policy requires students to begin their programs in line with the Rice academic calendar, as immigration law requires Rice to register these standardized initial start dates with the government. 

Summer session I: May 14, 2018
Summer session II: May 28, 2018
Summer session III: July 2, 2018
Summer session IV: April 30, 2018
Fall: August 20, 2018
Spring: January 7, 2019

2018 International Mandatory Orientation Dates:
MBA: July 30, 2018
Undergraduate Exchange Students: August 10, 2018
Graduate Students: August 13-14, 2018