OISS continues to provide services online. For more information, visit the OISS Coronavirus FAQ page.
1) Fulbright student applicants must work directly with the Rice University department of interest. You are also encouraged to notify the Office of International Students & Scholars (OISS) and the Office of Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies (GPS) of your intent to apply to Rice University as a Fulbright student.
2) Submit documentation through your Academic Department so OISS may start a file for you and send a pre-arrival welcome packet. For a list of documents, please see the Student Admissions webpage. (Note: Financial proof is not required for Fulbright students, but we still request that the biographical fields of the Financial Declaration Form be completed.)
3) Fulbright issues the immigration form DS-2019 and the Fulbright scholar secures a J-1 visa at a U.S. Embassy / Consulate. For more information, please see our Pre-Arrival Information webpage.
4) Upon arrival, Fulbright students must attend an immigration check-in with OISS, as well as the mandatory Graduate International Orientation. Attendance at the Rice General Graduate Orientation is also mandatory, and you may also need to attend a departmental orientation. The Academic Department will be able to provide information on all orientation requirements.
5) If you will be receiving funding from Fulbright, please confirm with your sponsor contact to which Rice office the check will be mailed.
1) Fulbright scholars apply directly with the Rice University faculty member and/or department of interest. The Office of International Students & Scholars (OISS) will partner with inviting department's key contact to facilitate arrival and welcoming process.
2) Fulbright Visiting Scholar Institutional Response Form is sent to Adria Baker at OISS (email@example.com), who will work in partnership with the inviting department to confirm the details of the visit and complete the form.
3) Inviting department will initiate the administrative process at Rice through the Academic Visitor Portal, which is intended for processing all visitors who are not receiving Rice funding.
4) Fulbright issues the immigration form DS-2019 and the Fulbright scholar secures a J-1 visa at a U.S. Embassy / Consulate. For more information, please see our Pre-Arrival Information webpage.
5) Upon arrival, Fulbright scholar must check in with inviting department, and attend an OISS immigration check-in and orientation.
6) If you will be receiving funding from Fulbright, please confirm with your sponsor contact to which Rice office the check will be mailed.
2) Connect with the local Houston Chapter of the Fulbright Association.
3) Stay connected to OISS and GPS (Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies), and join the regular Rice Fulbright gatherings.
4) (students only) Consider joining the International Friends at Rice Program.
The Fulbright Scholarship provides financial support for program study, research, or teaching in a single country. The program allows for individually designed study/research projects or an English Teaching Assistantship. To learn more, please visit https://ccl.rice.edu/students/fellowships/rice-nominated-fellowships/fulbright-scholarship.
The Fulbright-Hays Program provides grants to fund individual doctoral students to conduct research in other countries in modern foreign languages and area studies for periods of six to twelve months. This program holds an annual competition. Projects deepen research knowledge on and help the United States develop capability in areas of the world not generally included in U.S. curricula. Projects focusing on Western Europe are not supported. To learn more, please visit https://graduate.rice.edu/fulbright.
Fulbright Scholars (inbound): Dr. Adria Baker, Associate Vice Provost for International Education (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Fulbright Graduate Students (inbound): Dr. Seiichi Matsuda, Dean of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (email@example.com)
Rice Undergraduates interested in applying for Fulbright (outbound): Dr. Danika Burgess, Center for Civic Leadership (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Rice Graduate Students interested in applying for Fulbright (outbound): Kate Cross, Assistant Dean of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (email@example.com)
Fulbright Student & Scholar Engagement at Rice: