Visitors coming to Rice with external funding (no Rice funding / formerly known as “complimentary”) and requesting access to Rice privileges, will be processed through the Visitor Portal and will be named Academic Visitors. Academic Visitors who are not U.S. Citizens or U.S. Permanent Residents will have to complete the Visitor Portal process, as well as the steps outlined in Inviting an International Scholar, at least 90 days prior to the scholar's expected date of arrival.
Visitor Portal Intake Process
- Click on the Visitor Portal hyperlink to access the site. Guidelines can be found here: http://visitor.rice.edu/media/files/guidelines.pdf
- Complete the required documents. A list of documents needed may be found under the webpage for the applicable visa type (please see the links under International Scholars). The documents may be uploaded through the Visitor Portal, with the exception of the PAF and the offer letter. The Visitor Portal system will create the offer letter. In lieu of a PAF, HR approves the scholar through the Visitor Portal.
- Important note: If the scholar has not secured a bachelor's (or bachelor's equivalent) by the time of arrival to Rice, the Visitor Portal process will not apply. Academic Departments will need to follow the Visiting International UG Researcher process for those who are currently working on the bachelor's degree.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Q: Who do I contact for questions pertaining to initiating, or updating, information in the Visitor Portal?
A: Please contact email@example.com
- Q: What role does OISS have in the Visitor Portal system?
A: OISS reviews immigration status for the visitors in the OISS approval queue.
- Q: Where can I find Guidelines for the Visitor Intake Process?
A: See "Guidelines for Visitor Intake Process".