J-1 Exchange Visitor
The J-1 Exchange Visitor visa is the most common visa issued for international scholars who are coming to Rice to research or teach, as it is a more cost effective option and has the benefit of providing work authorization for a period of up to a maximum of five (5) years for those in a Research Scholar or Professor category. Their immediate dependents arrive as J-2s.
There is also a Short-term Scholar category under the J-1 visa. The Short-Term Scholar category is for short-term visitors, as the maximum duration is 6-months with no option for extension. This option is helpful for those who are not planning on staying more than 6 months, as it does not impose the same restrictions as the J-1 Research Scholar and Professor categories.
Applying for a J-1 visa requires obtaining a DS-2019 form, issued by OISS to the visitor.
Obtaining a DS-2019 Form
- Copy of the passport
- Completed DS-2019 Request
Form for Scholars, Part I: Scholar Form (completed by scholar)
- Completed DS-2019 Request Form for
Scholars, Part II: Academic Department Form, including the English Language Proficiency
Determination Form (completed by Rice academic department) – More information on Condition 4 of the
English Language Proficiency Determination (i.e. if an interview is required):
- Personnel Action Form
(PAF - provided by the academic department)
- Proof of financial
support, minimum of $2000/month (plus funding for dependents:
$4860/spouse/year (or $405/month) and $1900/child/year (or $150/month))
- Original offer letter
provided by Dean's Office plus two copies
- Proof of paid $300 J-1 EV Rice central administrative fee (effective 09/01/2016 - applies to all complete hardcopy packets received by OISS after September 1; any incomplete packet received before September will also be assessed the fee, if missing documents are received after 9/1/2016). To make payments, visit https://signup.rice.edu/JScholarFee/ or submit an IDT to A1/698000/58100 (if electronic, please select Crystal Davis or Flor Garcia as approver)
Please note that the DS-2019 form should not be copied and may not under any circumstances be sent electronically (e.g. scanned or faxed). You may send relevant information from the DS-2019 (e.g. the SEVIS number and Rice's Program Number), but not a copy of the form itself. Please feel free to contact OISS if you have any questions.
New International Scholar Flow Chart - describes the process from when an international scholar applies to Rice University, to when he/she arrives. It is a resource for any academic coordinator, faculty member, or new international student.
Checklist of Required Documents for DS-2019
Special Regulations for J-1 Exchange Visitors
SEVIS Fee Handout for J-1 Exchange Visitors
Special Considerations for Canadian Citizens
J-1 Scholar Extensions
In order to request an extension of J-1 status for a current scholar, the sponsoring academic department must provide OISS with the following documentation at least two weeks before the scholar's current DS-2019 end date via campus mail (MS-365):
- J-1 Scholar Extension Request Form
- Copy of a new offer letter from Dean's Office
- Copy of PAF
- Updated funding in the amount of $2000/month for the additional time if not included in the offer letter (additional funding will be required if the J-1 has dependents)
There are time limits for different J-1 categories. For questions on time limits or other questions regarding J-1 extensions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
(updated as of 12/03/2015)