Rice Unconventional Wisdom

Returning from Leave of Absence

OISS is happy to assist students who are returning to Rice after an academic leave, and help welcome them back to campus. 

Students who are returning to Rice after a leave of absence must follow the process outlined below to request a new I-20 or DS-2019 to return to Rice. While returning students will not need to attend the new student orientations, they still must check-in with OISS upon arrival. Failure to properly check-in will result in termination of his/her immigration status.  

Please note that all returning students will be given the first day of the academic semester as the start date on their immigration documents, so students should make travel plans accordingly.

Upon receipt of the required documents outlined below, OISS will process the I-20/DS-2019 and mail it to the student's address as indicated on the Financial Declaration form.

Process for obtaining an I-20/DS-2019 to apply for an F-1/J-1 visa:

Obtaining an I-20 or DS-2019 to apply for an F-1/J-1 visa

    1. Letter from Academic Department/Dean's office indicating readmission to the university
    2. Copy of the passport identification page
    3. Completed International Financial Declaration Form along with supporting documentation (select appropriate form below depending on your situation) 
      Undergraduate Degree-Seeking Student 
      Undergraduate Exchange Student - Full academic year 

      Undergraduate Exchange Student - Fall semester only 

      Undergraduate Exchange Student - Spring semester only (
      update coming soon!)
      Graduate Degree-Seeking Student 
      Graduate Music Student 
      Graduate Architecture Student
      - Masters Students in Energy Economics
      Professional Masters Students in Natural Science 
      Professional Masters Students in Engineering
      - Professional Masters Students in Global Affairs
      MBA Student 
      Masters in Accounting Program
      Graduate Exchange Student - Full academic year (
      update coming soon!)
      Graduate Exchange Student - Fall semester only  (update coming soon!)

            3. Foreign Student Transfer Release Form (if transferring from a US institution) The Release Form is required for all students coming to Rice University directly from another U.S. institution. Please ask the International Student Advisor at your current school to assist you in completing the form and to set a Transfer Release Date in SEVIS for your record to be transferred to Rice. Please note OISS may only prepare an I-20 after the SEVIS Release Date has passed.