Rice Unconventional Wisdom



Bringing Dependents for J-1 Visa Holders
J-1 scholars often desire to bring their dependents (as defined by the USCIS or DHS, the spouses or unmarried minor children of J-1 scholars) to the U.S. to join them while they are completing their programs.

Application Procedures:
- Complete the J-2 Dependent Request Form and bring it to OISS with the following:
            1. Copy of passport ID page 
            2. Proof of relationship (i.e. marriage certificate or birth certificate)
            3. Proof of financial support in the amount of $4860/spouse/year (or $405/month) and $1900/child/year (or $150/month)                  

- Request a letter of support from the OISS addressed to the visa-issuing officer in support of the visa application for the dependent. The letter should include the personal identification information for each dependent mentioned above.

- Schedule an appointment at the U.S. Consulate/Embassy to apply for the J-2 visa.

- Provide your dependent with the following documents to take to the visa interview:
            1. Original DS-2019 for each dependent 
            2. Financial documentation
            3. Proof of relationship (i.e. marriage certificate or birth certificate)
            4. Copy of your passport, J-1 visa, and I-94 card or printout 
            5. Copy of your DS-2019
            6. Copy of your SEVIS fee payment receipt
            4. Copy of your Rice offer letter
            6. OISS supporting letter for J-2 visa interview

Inviting Family & Friends
Scholars wishing to invite family and friends to come for a short visit may want to contact OISS to request an Invitation Letter of Support. A family member or friend often needs a letter from our office for the US Consulate or Embassy to apply for a visitor’s visa to come and visit. Your request is only accepted via email accompanied by an invitation letter request form. Separate letters will be issued only if specifically mentioned on the request form.

Immigration Requirements
J-2 Work Authorization Handout - For the cover letter template, click here
Insurance Requirementsall dependents are required to have health insurance for their duration of stay, including medical evacuation and repatriation
Taxes – If claiming your dependents on your tax return, you will most likely need to request an ITIN for them if they are not eligible for an SSN.
Departure Notification - any dependent departing the US prior to the J-1, with no intent to return, must notify OISS for proper reporting in SEVIS. Notification may be done by the departure form or by email.

Programs for Dependents
OISS has a variety of programs that dependents of international scholars are invited to participate in. Some of these programs include:

- International Ladies Network
- Free English & Culture Classes
Additional Programs for Dependents