Get to Know the OISS Staff
(in alphabetical order)
Irena Aleksic, Program Manager & Senior International Advisor
Originally from Serbia (former Yugoslavia), Irena moved to Houston in 1992 and while enrolled in ESL immediately developed a passion for learning languages. So far she has studied Spanish, Italian, Russian, English and Serbo-Croatian and is always looking to learn more (suggestions welcome!). She absolutely adores Texas although she enjoys to travel abroad and discover new places as well. Additionally, she is very interested in culture; languages, music and cuisine being her greatest cultural passions. While not the best at cooking (great at eating though!), she will try just about any cuisine. Irena also holds a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) focused in Anthropology from the University of Houston and she is thrilled to join the OISS team an become a part of the Rice family!
- Favorite song/music genre: 90's Alternative, New Orleans jazz, Mediterranean
- Favorite part of job: The opportunity to learn new things, serve an outstanding student society and work with amazing people
- Favorite color: Turquoise
- Favorite movie: Amelie
- Lifelong dream: To travel all over the world, learn many languages and try many foods!
Adria Baker, Ed.D., Associate Vice Provost for International Education; Executive Director, OISS
Originally from Amarillo, Texas, Adria Baker got a doctorate in education focusing on sociolinguistic competence of international students, and completed part of her graduate work at the University of Costa Rica on a Rotary Fellow. Her passion is working with international visitors and her greatest joys are time spent with her husband, Ross, and son, Alec.
- Favorite song/music genre: Easy jazz and gospel
- Favorite part of job: Every minute of everyday - especially spending time with international students and scholars and the wonderful OISS staff
- Favorite color: Blue
- Favorite movie: Remember the Titans
- Lifelong dream: To play the trumpet like my dad
Sandra Bloem-Curtis, Director, International Compliance & Administration
Growing up in both Brazil and the U.S., Sandra developed a passion for culture and languages. She double majored in International Studies and French, giving her the opportunity to study her two favorite things. After college Sandra moved to California to work in Silicon Valley to gain more technical experience, and later decided to return to Texas to pursue a job in international education. She has been at Rice since 2002, and could not imagine working anywhere else.
- Favorite song/music genre: Brazilian music (samba, pagode, axe)
- Favorite part of job: The wonderful people - students, scholars, and co-workers
- Favorite color: Green
- Favorite movie: Too many to choose from - any movie that makes me laugh
- Lifelong dream: To write a book and travel the world
Jenny Brydon, Senior Manager, International Advising & Programs
Growing up all over the U.S. and abroad gave Jenny a love for all
things international. She received her B.S. from University of Idaho and
her M.S. from California Lutheran University in Counseling and Guidance with an
Emphasis in College Student Personnel. She has worked in many different
areas within the university setting but enjoys working with international
students and scholars the most.
- Favorite song/music genre: Fan of all types of
music. Counting Crows is my favorite band.
- Favorite part of job: All of it!!!!
- Favorite color: Pink
- Favorite movie: Anything sappy or sports related
- Lifelong dream: To see a game at every baseball stadium
in the U.S. and Canada
Betsy (Elisabeth) Caradec, International Administrative Coordinator
A native Houstonian (Clear Lake, Houston), Betsy developed a passion for other languages and culture. She majored in International Studies with a minor in Japanese, giving her the opportunity to expand upon her interests. She worked at Space Center giving tours of NASA to both domestic and foreign visitors. Betsy studied abroad in Nagoya, Japan in 2015 and hopes to utilize her experiences to serve the international community at Rice. She is excited and proud to be a part of the OISS team.
- Favorite song/music genre: World Music after being introduced to many different artists by Gordon Jones, previously my world music professor. (Oum and E.T. Mensah are favorites)
- Favorite part of job: The opportunity to meet the wonderful international community and breathtaking Rice campus
- Favorite color: Blue and Green
- Favorite movie: Love sci-fi movies. Interstellar and Logan's Run are two of my favorites
- Lifelong dream: To make it back to Japan for the Olympics and travel the world
Elmira Ganiyeva, International Delegate & Compliance Specialist
Elmira was born and raised in Kazakhstan. She thinks it is great to be an international student since she went to Undergraduate and Graduate Schools in Kazakhstan, Belgium and Spain. Before joining OISS she worked for the U.S. Diplomatic Mission to Kazakhstan for 8 years. Traveling is her passion. She loves to meet and talk to local people wherever she travels. She thinks she's been lucky to have traveled to around 25 countries and to have learned about different cultures and traditions from the locals there. So, she thinks OISS is the best place for her to be since there is hardly any other place that is directly involved with people from so many countries!
- Favorite song/music genre: Ranges from classical (Andrea Bocelli) to salsa music (Marc Anthony)
- Favorite part of job: People who I work with and who I work for
- Favorite color: Tiffany blue (that little box!) :)
- Favorite movie: Life is Beautiful, Godfather, Beautiful Mind
- Lifelong dream: Travel to every spot of the world and to win a jackpot some day, so I can open a specialized school for children with brain injury
Juliana Kenj, International Advisor
Originally from São Paulo, Brazil with a major in Dentistry, 1997, Juliana dedicated most of her career to her private practice, where she also developed and implemented an Oral Health Prevention Program to the less fortunate communities in Brazil. The switch in her career path occurred in 2006 when her husband was transferred by his company from Brazil to US. The start of a new career in a new business and life settings were challenging but very exciting. Juliana also worked at IIE, Institute of International Education, managing the Baker Hughes Scholarship Program in Angola, which reinforced her interest in becoming part of the international team with a great worldwide mission. She is now working at Rice and is very proud to be part of the OISS team helping students from all around the world.
- Favorite song/music genre: A bit of everything!! Love music in general!
- Favorite part of job: The great co-workers and be able to help students/scholars from all around the world.
- Favorite color: Green
- Favorite movie: Love romantic movies. One of my favorites is The Notebook
- Lifelong dream: Travel the world
Elizabeth is a Houston native and loves sharing her hometown with visitors! She became interested in international education through friendships with foreign exchange students in high school and study abroad experiences in Spain and Argentina. Elizabeth received her M.A. in Spanish Linguistics from Middlebury College and enjoys practicing her Spanish whenever possible. Prior to starting at Rice, Elizabeth managed scientific research conferences in California and Italy and coordinated a legal orientation program at a Houston nonprofit. She is thrilled to be serving the local international community at Rice..
Andy Meretoja, International Program Administrator
Originally from Finland, Andy moved to Houston in the Spring of 2009 with her husband. She majored in English Philology (a fancy way of saying language and culture) and wrote her Master's thesis about Neil Gaiman's graphic novel series, The Sandman. As a Rice international, Andy has received a lot of help and support from OISS, and is excited about the opportunity to help other internationals herself.
Elizabeth Thomas, International Advisor
- Favorite song/music genre: My all-time number one favorite is Red Hot Chili Peppers!
- Favorite part of job: The fact that every morning I really love coming to work!
- Favorite color: Black and purple
- Favorite movie: Snakes on a Plane
- Lifelong dream: To travel to as many places as possible (and to see the Houston Texans win a Super Bowl!)
- Favorite song/music genre: Latin pop! Julieta Venegas and Shakira are some faves
- Favorite part of job: The people and the beautiful Rice campus
- Favorite color: Purple
- Favorite movie: The Sound of Music
- Lifelong dream: Eat at the best restaurants in every country
Agnes Vajtai, Manager, Visa & Compliance Administration
Born and raised in Hungary, Agnes came to the U.S. in 2000 and lived in upstate NY for 8 years before moving to Houston. She received her Master's in Communication with a concentration in Organizational Communication from SUNY Albany, and has worked with international students and scholars at RPI. Because of them, she came to learn, appreciate, and fall in love with this exciting field.
- Favorite song/music genre: Almost all genres including classical, pop/rock and Hungarian Folk music
- Favorite part of job: Interacting with internationals, and getting to know different cultures from all over the world
- Favorite color: All the colors of the rainbow
- Favorite movie: Good ones that feature interesting characters such as: Sommersby, The Crucible, V for Vendetta, Forrest Gump, Dead Poets Society, The Godfather…
- Lifelong dream: To live close to my loved ones, and to learn how to play the piano
Priscilla Von Sorella, International Department Coordinator
A native Houstonian, Priscilla enjoys working with and meeting individuals from all over the world. As a current student of the University of London International Programmes, her objective is to utilize her passion of learning about other cultures and languages to continue growing professionally. Priscilla's hobbies include reading, blogging, creative designing, and running.
- Favorite song/music genre: I like everything! From opera to the latest Top 40
- Favorite part of job: Excellent resources and people, atmosphere, and student interaction
- Favorite color: Gold, Fuchsia
- Favorite movie: Vanilla Sky
- Lifelong dream: To do something that strongly impacts the environment, world development, and education for the greater good