Rice Unconventional Wisdom

F-1 OPT (Optional Practical Training)

OISS will not need to create additional documentation for a scholar in this visa status.  However, OISS must still receive a copy of the PAF and offer letter, as well as check-in the scholar, to ensure immigration compliance requirements.

International Scholars on F-1 OPT hold an EAD (Employment Authorization Document) that permits them to work for a period of up to 12 months in a specific field of study.  Extensions of F-1 OPT status may be available for scholars in certain fields of study.  Please advise the scholar to consult with an OISS advisor.

International scholars who are not eligible to extend their F-1 OPT status, will need work authorization to continue to work after the EAD expires.  To obtain work authorization, s/he will need to change to a different visa classification – typically the J-1 or the H-1B.  Please consult an OISS advisor well in advance to discuss the visa options and procedures, as changing visa classifications can take between 4 to 6 months.