Rice Unconventional Wisdom

B-1/B-2/Visa Waiver

The B-1/B-2 Visitor Visa or the Visa Waiver is commonly used by foreign visitors who are invited to Rice for a very short period of time for the purpose of giving a lecture, consulting, attending a conference or seminar, and for who may require an honorarium or reimbursement. 

The B visa may NOT be used for working, conducting research, nor for collaborations at Rice University. For these types of activities, Rice will typically issue a J-1 Exchange Visitor visa.

Please follow the procedures below when inviting foreign visitors:

Additional Resources:
Details regarding the Visa Waiver Program
Special Considerations for Canadian Citizens