F-1 and J-1 students often desire to bring their dependents (as defined by the USCIS or DHS, the spouses or unmarried minor children of F-1 or J-1 students) to the U.S. to join them while they are completing their degrees.
- Contact OISS to request a Dependent SEVIS DS-2019 and provide the following:
1. Copy of passport ID page
2. Proof of financial support in the amount of $4000/dependent
3. Personal data
a. First Name
b. Middle Name
c. Last Name
d. Place of birth (city, country)
e. Country of citizenship
f. Relationship to student
- Request a letter of support from the OISS addressed to the visa-issuing officer in support of the visa application for the dependent. The letter should include the personal identification information for each dependent mentioned above.
- Print the dependent visa checklist (coming soon!) for additional supporting documentation recommendations
- Schedule an appointment at the US Consulate/Embassy to apply for the F-2 or J-2 visa
Inviting Family & Friends
Students wishing to invite family and friends to come for a short visit may want to contact OISS to request an Invitation Letter of Support. A family member or friend often needs a letter from our office for the US Consulate or Embassy to apply for a visitor’s visa to come and visit. Your request is only accepted via email accompanied by an invitation letter request form. A separate letter will be issued for each guest.
F-2 Immigration Regulations
Insurance Requirements – all dependents are required to have health insurance for their duration of stay, including medical evacuation and repatriation
Taxes – If claiming your dependents on your tax return, you will most likely need to request an ITIN for them if they are not eligible for an SSN.
Programs for Dependents
OISS has a variety of programs that dependents of international scholars are invited to participate in. Some of these programs include:
- Free English & Culture Classes
- Additional Programs for Dependents