Rice Unconventional Wisdom



All students traveling abroad need to make sure they check the validity dates on their immigration documents to ensure everything is in order. If you have any questions, please see an OISS advisor.

F-1 and J-1 students
Verify the following prior to travel:

            1. Passport, valid at least 6 months into the future
            2. Recent travel endorsement on the I-20 or DS-2019 (endorsement should be from the current semester)
            3. Valid visa stamp

Procedure for Requesting Travel Endorsement or Letter of Support
1. All letter requests should be made through our online Letter Request form.
2. Turn around time for processing travel endorsements or letters is one business day - please do not leave your requests until the last minute, as they may not be processed in time.

Visa Stamp Renewal
If your visa stamp has expired and you are traveling outside the US, you may need to apply for a visa stamp renewal. Be sure to schedule an appointment with an OISS advisor to discuss your case and to request a Visa Renewal Letter of Support.

Automatic Revalidation
If you are traveling to Mexico, Canada, or the Caribbean Islands and your visa stamp has expired, you may be able to use automatic revalidation to re-enter the US without renewing your visa stamp. Please contact OISS for information on how to use automatic revalidation.

Additional Resources:
Travel Advisories
US Embassies/Consulates
New I-94 Process for Customs & Border Protection