Rice Unconventional Wisdom


Bringing Dependents
F-1 and J-1 students often desire to bring their dependents (as defined by the USCIS or DHS, the spouses or unmarried minor children of F-1 or J-1 students) to the U.S. to join them while they are completing their degrees.

Application Procedure:
- Complete the F-2 Dependent Request Form and bring it to OISS with the following:
        1. Copy of passport ID page 
        2. Proof of relationship (i.e. marriage certificate or birth certificate)
        3. Proof of financial support in the amount of $4000/dependent

- Request a letter of support from OISS addressed to the visa-issuing officer in support of the visa application for the dependent. The letter should include the personal identification information for each dependent mentioned above.

- Schedule an appointment at the U.S. Consulate/Embassy to apply for the F-2 or J-2 visa.

Inviting Family & Friends
Students wishing to invite family and friends to come for a short visit may want to contact OISS to request an Invitation Letter of Support. A family member or friend often needs a letter from our office for the US Consulate or Embassy to apply for a visitor’s visa to come and visit. Your request is only accepted electronically via the OISS Invitation Letter Request Template. Separate letters will be issued only if specifically mentioned on the request form.

Immigration Requirements
F-2 Immigration Regulations
J-2 Work Authorization Handout - For the cover letter template, click here
Insurance Requirementsall dependents are required to have health insurance for their duration of stay, including medical evacuation and repatriation
Taxes – If claiming your dependents on your tax return, you will most likely need to request an ITIN for them if they are not eligible for an SSN.

Programs for Dependents
OISS has a variety of programs that dependents of international scholars are invited to participate in. Some of these programs include:

- International Ladies Network
- Free English & Culture Classes
- Additional Programs for Dependents