- Initial orientation for all international students and scholars;
- U.S. immigration advisement and forms;
- Travel authorization and counseling regarding application for new visas;
- Authorize and advise on visa benefits, such as practical training and extension of programs;
- Advise and assist dependents of international students and scholars with visa issues and benefits;
- Liaison with U.S. and foreign embassies/consulates;
- Assistance with matters of cultural adjustment;
- Liaison with the Institute of International Education (IIE) and its Friendship Family Program;
- Resource and referral to other offices and services within Rice University and in Houston, as needed;
- Reporting of Rice's international population to government agencies, IIE, and the Rice community;
- Informational workshops, programming and cultural activities;
- Alternative health insurance policy applications;
- Information on holiday hospitality programs;
- Provide networks for international students to assist one another;
- OISS listservs.
Please also refer to our list of OISS Key Contacts to see who handles what at OISS.